Periorbital puffiness, principally renowned as puffy eyes, refers to the appearance of swelling in orbits, which are tissues that surround the eyes. Often at times Periorbital puffiness is caused by undesirable fluid buildup around the eyes. Minor puffiness, known as eye bags, is usually detectable through the eyes and is utterly distinct from age related puffiness. Age related puffiness gradually increases in size and makes the fat pad lying below the lower lids abnormally big.
While some puffiness cases are mild, others are increasingly advanced mainly due to age and fatigue. It is normal for Periorbital tissues to be slightly swollen after waking up, but generally eye puffiness is caused by:
- Fluid retention, caused principally by hormonal changes, leads to abnormal swelling around the eyes, resulting in eye puffiness.
- Sleep deprivation or oversleeping. Interrupting normal sleep cycles may cause eye puffiness.
- Diet- Fluid retention is encouraged by excess salt ingestion, and certainly, this leads to puffy eyes. Moreover, ingesting high sodium processed foods contributes to abnormal swelling of the orbital tissues.
- Mononucleosis often results in supra orbital oedema, which results in Periorbital puffiness.
- Tobacco and alcohol use may introduce toxins in the body that often lead to stress, hormonal changes and fatigue, hence eye puffiness.
- Normal aging is a principal cause of eye puffiness because as an individual ages, the skin around the eyes becomes weaker and thinner. This results in distention of the lower eyelids and eye puffiness becomes more prevalent.
What are the risks of Periorbital puffiness?
The risk of this eye problem is utterly cosmetic, but truth be told, most individuals pay utmost attention to their cosmetic worries. Although some creams and home remedies may alleviate eye puffiness, other people take preference in eye surgery to correct the swelling. All in all, severe Periorbital puffiness may be a sign of grave medical conditions.
How does one alleviate eye puffiness?
For anyone with predisposed eye puffiness, dietary and life changes may be all there is to eye puffiness control and treatment. Application of chilled substances at the affected eye area prevents flow of blood in the orbital tissues, diminishing puffiness in the process. Natural astringents, cucumbers and potatoes are often used to provide a short term relief from eye puffiness. Other individuals resort to adverse eye medication methods and treatments such as eye surgery to eliminate the eye puffiness. However, all these adverse eye puffiness medications must be prescribed by a reputable eye physician.
How can one prevent Periorbital puffiness?
First, following a set sleeping routine will help prevent eye puffiness. Elevating the head when you sleep also prevents eye puffiness as it controls the gravitational redistribution of fluid. Moreover, ingesting low carb diets full of distinct essential vitamins will help prevent undesirable eye swelling. Application of popular home remedies such as cucumbers and potatoes is advisable as compared to other cosmetic methods. Prior to any adverse Periorbital puffiness treatments, consult your eye doctor for effective advice on the best way to alleviate the eye condition.